Preach The Word!

Be ready in season and out of season. Convince, rebuke, exhort, with all longsuffering and teaching. 2 Timothy 4:2

Thursday, April 7, 2011

Fix your hope today fully on when you will be with Jesus

I woke up restless this morning and decided to revisit I and II Peter, where we spent many, many months some time back. I Peter 1:13 has often been one of my favorite verses, but so often I forget Peter's exhortation amidst the day to day trouble of this life. It greatly encouraged me this morning.
"Therefore, preparing your minds for action, and being sober-minded, set your hope fully on the grace that will be brought to you at the revelation of Jesus Christ (ESV)."
The words "set your hope fully means "completely, totally, entirely, or wholly." Now I set my hope on many, many things throughout the day (s). But do I set my hope completely on the day I will see Jesus in glory? Do I set my hope totally on the day I will see Jesus in glory? Do I set my hope entirely on the day I will see Jesus in glory? Do I set my hope wholly on the day I will see Jesus in glory? Peter commands his readers, who are suffering in various ways, to do so. This is comforting to my soul, as I think this is Peter's intent, because it puts the priority of my mind in the proper order. This helps me to do this, because my mind can get pretty jumbled sometimes.
I have a lot of hopes each day. I hope it is a good day. I hope I get done the things that are on my list. I hope when I meet with people who are hurting that I might be an encouragement. I hope my kids remember Jesus as they make choices. I hope they have success in the things they do. I hope the car doesn't break down. I hope the wind doesn't do damage to our new trees. I hope we are not met with some kind of tragedy. I hope my reactions to difficulty are Spirit led and not sinful manifestations of my flesh. Etc., etc., etc.
The fact is, none of these hopes come true all the time. Some or all of them disappoint on any given day. They are non-sustaining.
But, if I place my hope today on the fact that I am not living for what happens today, but rather, on the reality that I am going to see Jesus soon--fully, completely, face to face--and that seeing him is an act of grace on God's part...and the power to live today comes from Him and His overwhelming kindnesses toward me because of His righteousness...then I live encouraged today when all of those things I am hoping in do whatever they are going to do. I can live with disappointment (however large or small), because of the grace which is covering me now and until the day I will be with the Gracious One.
And as I place my hope fully on the grace of Jesus today, I want to do the other things that follow in Peter's command...be obedient, be holy, remember the fact I have been purchased by Jesus' precious blood, long for the pure milk of His Word, etc.
Brothers and sisters, after you read this, take a few minutes to read the verses surrounding I Peter 1:13 and join me today in prayerfully and humbly obeying this command to fix your hope fully on the grace that will be brought to us at the revelation of Jesus. And if you see me, and this is not where my hope is, then you have my permission to remind me that I wrote this.
God's blessing on you today,

Worley

2 comments:

  1. Thank you Worley for your insite on these scriptures. Mike & I have been praying everyday "God just get me through today". We have let frustration and dissapointment consume us. Satan is deffinatly here roaming around seeing who he can devoure. It's sad to say there have been too many days he has devoured us. Our prayer will now be "God just USE us to your glory and honor today". Blessings, M & M

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your comments and encouragement I just moved here and looking for a good church grounded in the reformed Doctrine and holds to and teaches that regenaration preseeds Faith and it's all of Gods grace that one is saved.not sure but what i have seen and read on your site your church does hold these things to be true.God bless and hope to hear from your church soon

    ReplyDelete